Friday, September 13, 2013

Top 5 Movies I Can't Wait To See- Fall 2013

    1.      12 Years a Slave
       
          Release Date- October 18th  
       
          Starring- Chiwetel Ejiofer, Michael Fassbender, Benedict Cumberbatch, Paul Dano
       
          What It’s About- Based on the autobiography of the same name, 12 Years a Slave tells the story of               Solomon Northup, a free and educated black man who in 1841 is kidnapped and sold into slavery.                 What follows is twelve years of working on Louisiana plantations before he is finally found by his wife in         1853.    
      
          Why I Want To See It- While the plot is certainly an interesting enough reason to watch it, the main               attraction for me is Ejiofer and Fassbender.  They are both truly wonderful, underrated actors and I am           looking forward to seeing them in a film where they can get some long overdue recognition. 
  
    2.      Dallas Buyers Club
          
          Release Date- November 1st

          Starring- Matthew McConaughey, Jared Leto, Jennifer Garner

          What It’s About- Dallas electrician Ron Woodroof, is diagnosed with HIV in 1986 and given 30 days to       live.  When his FDA approved medication proves to be useless he decides to smuggle some more                 effective but also illegal drugs in from Mexico.  Eventually other HIV/AIDS patients start to seek him out         for the medications and with some help from his doctor and a transvestite named Rayon: Woodroof               starts the Dallas Buyers Club, a service that provides its paying members with alternative drugs.

          Why I Want To See It- McConaughey has surprised me the last couple of years by actually doing some         good movies and more amazingly giving some good performances.  In Dallas Buyers Club however, he         seems to be taking it to another level even going so far as to lose almost 40 pounds for the role.  I never         thought I would say this a few years ago but I can’t wait for McConaughey’s next movie.

    3.      Thor: The Dark World
          
          Release Date- November 8th
          
          Starring- Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, Tom Hiddleston, Christopher Eccleston, Anthony Hopkins

          What It’s About- Thor has returned to Asgard and now faces a mysterious enemy known as the Dark           Elves who are older than the universe itself.  They are so powerful that Thor must forge a shaky alliance         with the treacherous Loki if he hopes to stop them and keep the world from plunging into eternal                     darkness.

          Why I Want To See It- I think that after Iron Man 3, Marvel proved they can still make good movies             after The Avengers and I believe Thor: The Dark World will be just as good.  Also, with Doctor Who         playing a comic book villain, how could I possibly resist?

    4.      The Wolf of Wall Street

          Release Date- November 15th

          Starring- Leonardo Dicaprio, Jonah Hill, Matthew McConaughey, Kyle Chandler, Jean Dujardin

          What It’s About- The Wolf of Wall Street tells the story and eventual downfall of wealthy New York           stockbroker Jordan Belfort. 

          Why I Want To See It- For me it’s mostly because of Martin Scorsese.  He’s one of my favorite                   directors and I’m really excited to see how his follow-up to Hugo turns out.  Also, from I saw from the           trailer it looks to be similar to Goodfellas but with stockbrokers instead of gangsters.   
   
    5.      The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

          Release Date- November 22nd

          Starring-Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, Woody Harrelson, Phillip Seymour               Hoffman
   
          What It’s About- After the events of The Hunger Games, Katniss and Peeta’s victory begins to spark a       rebellion within the other districts.  In an effort to squash the rebellion, the Capitol forces previous winners       from the Hunger Games to compete against each other again, including Katniss and Peeta. 

          Why I Want To See It- While I admit that I didn’t enjoydnt I admit that i  reading Catching Fire quite as much as I did the     first book I still found it to be pretty good.  Also, some of the actors that have been added to The Hunger     Games: Catching Fire cast has me cautiously optimistic that this sequel might actually improve on the           original.  

No comments:

Post a Comment