Friday, August 9, 2013

Pacific Rim Review

                         

            I’ve often heard some movies be described as “so awesome your head might explode.”  I never really understood what they were talking about until I went to the theater to see Pacific Rim.  Like so many summer movies before it, Pacific Rim uses style over substance, but unlike many summer movies from before it has style in spades.  It would be easy for people to write this off as another Transformers rip-off (I’m talking to you Battleship) but Michael Bay will never make anything close to this.  Guillermo Del Toro has had a lengthy absence from the directors’ chair (his last movie was Hellboy II) but the wait was well worth it. 

            In the near future, coastal cities come under attack by giant alien monsters called Kaijus, who appear out of an inter-dimensional portal in the Pacific Ocean.  To fight the Kaiju, the humans build massive robots called Jaegers, which are each controlled by two pilots since the mental load quickly proves too much for anybody to control the Jaegers alone.  While the Jaegers appear to be winning at first, Kaiju attacks become more frequent and dangerous.  Eventually, the Jaegers are being destroyed faster than they can be built and the government decides to disband the project in a few months in favor of building gigantic walls along the coasts (which goes about as well as you might expect).  The leader of the Jaeger program Stacker Pentecost (Idris Elba) decides to use the four remaining Jaegers to make a last stand against the Kaijus.  To help with his plans, he recruits former Jaeger pilot Raleigh Beckett (Charlie Hunnam), who is still recovering emotionally after the loss of his brother/co-pilot in combat.  He is partnered with rookie pilot Mako Mori (Rinko Kikuchi) who also happens to be Pentecost’s adopted daughter with her own traumatizing history with the Kaiju.  Meanwhile, research scientist Dr. Newton Gieszler (Charlie Day) is studying the Kaiju brain in the hopes of finding a way to establish a mental link with them with the reluctant help of Dr. Hermann Gottlieb (Burn Gorman).

           But enough with the plot, let’s talk about the action.  The fight scenes between the Jaegers and the Kaiju are nothing short of spectacular.  They gave me an at-the-edge-of-my-seat feeling they I don’t think I’ve had in years.  Every time I watched a fight I was in a state of what I can now only describe as incredulous glee.  The visual effects are also unbelievable and just like with last year’s Life of Pi, if this movie doesn’t walk away with a Best Visual Effects Oscar for their efforts I will lose my faith in the Academy.

           The only real problem with Pacific Rim is that the human characters aren’t very interesting.  Their development mostly ranges from mediocre to clichéd.  One person in particular who stuck out like a sore thumb was Ron Perlman.  Here he plays a black market trafficker of Kaiju parts named Hannibal Chau (I dare you not to laugh at that name).  His sole purpose in this is to provide useless exposition and apparently be a glorified cameo for Del Toro (kind of like how Bruce Campbell always gets shoehorned into Sam Raimi’s movies).     

           While Pacific Rim has some problems with the script but I loved the special effects and fight scenes so much that I was more than willing to let that go.  As a matter of fact Pacific Rim is probably been my favorite movie so far this year (though I expect that will change soon enough with award season kicking in soon).  I’ve got my fingers crossed for a sequel.  

Grade: A-

Next Review: Turbo  

No comments:

Post a Comment